The Light Brigade, the training division of AFL, has released a new menu-based staff development DVD, titled Fiber Optic Safety. This DVD is designed to inform anyone who works with optical fibers or lasers, or who installs or operates fiber-optic communication systems, about fiber safety.
The DVD's 10 menu-selectable chapters focus on several topics, including:
- Laser types and classifications, how they operate, and various control measures
- National and international fiber-optic and laser safety standards
- Optical fiber handling and safety
- Chemicals and right-to-know documentation
- Fiber and laser testing and inspection equipment types and applications
- The impact of high-power Raman and EDFA optical amplifiers
- Safety practices during installation and restoration
- Potential safety problems, including causes and possible solutions
- Safety in confined spaces
- Types of personal protective equipment.
Bonus materials include a student quiz with matching instructor version, written in Microsoft Word, which enables customization for specific safety needs.
BICSI recognizes Fiber Optic Safety DVD training for the following BICSI Continuing Education Credits (CECs): one RCDD; one RITP; one Installer 2, Copper/Fiber; one Technician, and one Certified Trainer.
For more information on training aids and suppliers, visit the Lightwave Buyer’s Guide.