Swisscom and Groupe E partner for Fribourg fiber network

JANUARY 4, 2011 By Stephen Hardy -- Switzerland’s Competition Commission is reviewing a proposed joint venture between Swisscom and electrical utility Groupe E focused on extending fiber-optic network connections in the canton of Fribourg.

JANUARY 4, 2011 By Stephen Hardy -- Switzerland’s Competition Commission is reviewing a proposed joint venture between Swisscom and electrical utility Groupe E focused on extending fiber-optic network connections in the canton of Fribourg. The proposed partnership is the third pairing with a utility that Swisscom has announced in recent weeks. Fiber to the home (FTTH) connections would be part of the network extension.

Swisscom and Groupe E, which is based in the western half of Switzerland, submitted the joint venture contract to the Competition Commission last autumn. The two parties say they expect a decision from the commission by this May.

The proposed joint venture will see Swisscom pick up 60% of the investment, with “other partners” assuming the remaining 40%. The identity of the other partners was not revealed. The canton of Fribourg was named as another partner in the joint venture.

Swisscom recently announced similar partnerships with Energie Wasser Bern (see “Swisscom, Energie Wasser Bern agree on Berne FTTH/FTTB network”) and IWB (see “IWB, Swisscom join for FTTP in Basel”) to build FTTH/FTTB networks in other parts of Switzerland.

As in these previously announced pacts, the Fribourg network extension would see the connection of four fibers in each area of use (flat, house, or commercial premises) to provide access for competitive carriers.


More in FTTX