Tularosa Basin Telephone replacing copper with FTTP and FTTN

July 12, 2006 Santa Barbara, CA -- Tularosa Basin Telephone Co. Inc. (TBTC) has selected the BLC 6000 System from Occam Networks Inc. to upgrade its outside plant facilities with fiber to the premises (FTTP) and fiber to the node (FTTN). The new active Ethernet fiber network will enable TBTC to provide all of its subscribers with a full range of triple-play services with up to 1 Gbit/sec of bandwidth.

July 12, 2006 Santa Barbara, CA -- Tularosa Basin Telephone Co. Inc. (TBTC) has selected the BLC 6000 System from Occam Networks Inc. to upgrade its outside plant facilities with fiber to the premises (FTTP) and fiber to the node (FTTN). The new active Ethernet fiber network will enable TBTC to provide all of its subscribers with a full range of triple-play services with up to 1 Gbit/sec of bandwidth.

"We are delighted to partner with Occam Networks in building our new fiber network," said Charlie Ferrell, vice president and general manager of Tularosa Telephone. "Occam has a stellar reputation and a proven track record of helping its customers build truly state-of-the-art access networks that are future proof. Because Occam is such a forward thinking company, we can build a network that provides our subscribers with a full range of advanced communications services today and feel comfortable that this same network will enable us to meet future subscriber demands."

As mentioned previously, Tularosa is building an active Ethernet FTTP network. In an active Ethernet network, each home or business is connected with dedicated fiber bandwidth, which Occam asserts enables superior operation versus shared PONs. The FTTP network uses Ethernet as a delivery mechanism to provide broad connectivity to a wide variety of voice, data and entertainment customer premises equipment.

On the network side, the fiber terminates on a BLC 6312 Optical Line Termination (OLT) blade that can reside in a central office or a remote node. This approach maximizes end user bandwidth while simplifying network planning, user deployment, and troubleshooting costs, Occam says.

"TBTC is dedicated to bringing the same advanced services typically found in large metropolitan areas to the people of New Mexico's smaller, rural communities," Ferrell said. "This new active Ethernet network provides us with the opportunity to offer our subscribers bundled service packages that include high-speed data, voice, and video at very affordable rates."

Tularosa is deploying the Occam BLC 6000 in three phases. First-phase construction is currently underway. Once the final phase has been completed, more than 60 percent of TBTC's subscribers will have FTTP. The remaining 40 percent are served from short copper loops.

"Occam is pleased to help Tularosa execute its goal of providing subscribers of all economic levels with access to what the world of communications has to offer," said Russ Sharer, vice president of sales and marketing for Occam. "Occam's goals are to make sure that telcos like Tularosa build the kinds of networks that meet their unique requirements, that enable them to remain highly competitive and that make it possible for them to grow and prosper."

Founded in 1996, TBTC Inc. provides local, long distance, DSL, and Internet access services to customers from six exchanges: Cloudcroft, High Rolls, Mountain Park, Carrizozo, and Tularosa, previously owned by an RBOC. TBTC provides wireline service to more than 5,100 customers and Internet service to approximately 2,600 customers in an area that spans more than 1,200 square miles. Tularosa Basin Telephone has its headquarters in Tularosa, NM.

More in FTTH/B