BroadLight offers GPON residential gateway chip
JUNE 14, 2007 â�� BroadLight has announced the BL2348 GPON Residential Gateway SoC for FTTH applications.
JUNE 14, 2007 â�� BroadLight (search for BroadLight) has announced the BL2348 GPON Residential Gateway (RG) SoC for FTTH applications. The new chip is designed to provide the performance, integration, and functions for a new breed of broadband CPE for connecting homes to FTTH services.
"Our success with GPON has opened new opportunities for BroadLight to use its technology and expand our product line to adjacent market applications" said Raanan Gewirtzman, BroadLight's COO. "We are seeing that the FTTH market is quickly following suit with other broadband access technologies where CPE is being consolidated into a one box solution -- a residential application gateway connecting directly to the access network. Our embedded PONRunner network processor is the key element in the BL2348, enabling us to meet the cost-performance targets of the next generation RG SoCs."
BroadLight says the BL2348 leverages the PONRunner network processor in a dual core architecture to perform the necessary Layer 2, 3, and 4 packet functions with throughputs of 1 Gbit/sec. An embedded GPON MAC enhances the device.
"The BL2348 expands BroadLight's market from Optical Network Termination (ONT) modem type applications to the emerging GPON connected home gateway. It also solidifies our clear leadership in the GPON silicon market with the embedded field proven GPON MAC," added Gewirtzman.
Features of the BL2348 include:
- High-performance dual core PONRunner architecture for 1-Gbit/sec throughput for Layer 2, 3, and 4 packet processing
- ITU-T G.984-compliant and interoperability proven GPON MAC
- Embedded VoIP DSP for four concurrent ports, three-way calling, and T.38 fax
- GateMaker software for gateway functions of firewall, security, SIP, management, QoS, NAT, etc.
- Standard interfaces for home networking technologies such as Gigabit and Fast Ethernet, 802.11 a/b/g/n, MoCA, HomePNA, HomePlug, USB
- 23x23 PBGA-484 1.4-W industrial temperature.
The BL2348 will sample to customers at the end of 2007.