JANUARY 30, 2008 -- Telvent Miner & Miner (search for Telvent Miner & Miner) today announced the official release of Fiber Manager, an enterprise geographic information system (GIS) for fiber-optic networks. Fiber Manager is sold as an extension to the ArcFM Solution, which allows users to manage and maintain facility network data in an ESRI ArcGIS environment.
Fiber Manager allows editors to quickly and intuitively create, connect, and manage fiber- optic systems within a GIS. The Manager comes with an integrated toolset that provides users with editing, connectivity, analysis, and reporting capabilities, say company representatives.
According to TM&M, Fiber Manager functionality includes the following:
• Connection Manager, which provides an easy-to-use graphical user interface (GUI) for creating connections such as splices between fibers and between fibers and patch panel/equipment ports.
• Circuit Manager, which allows for the defining and management of connected optical circuits in the network.
• Fiber Path Trace, which identifies the components in the system that light will pass through, defining a single fiber or port in the system.
• OTDR Outage Trace Tool, which traces the path from a port on a circuit to a specified distance in the system, providing the exact location of an outage for repair crews.
• Availability Trace, which creates a trace for unused and unreserved fibers between any two points in the network, to support an alternate route location.
• Splice Point Schematic, which generates an on-the-fly schematic of all splices at a single splice enclosure.
• System Reports, which provide an overview of assets, as well as a wide range of analytical information about fiber connectivity for editors and viewers of the system.
TM&M says an early adopter program with twenty domestic and international clients has resulted in ten clients now in production.
"The close collaboration with our user community played a vital role in the design and configurability of Fiber Manager," reports Tom Taber, TM&M's Fiber Manager product specialist. "We are very pleased with the results and happy to offer it as part of our enterprise GIS software solution."