March 26, 2004 Murray Hill, NJ -- Lucent Technologies has received a contract by the United States Department of Defense (DOD) to help rebuild, restore, and modernize communications systems in Iraq. The contract currently has a value of up to $75 million over two years, with the option of spanning a total of five years.
As the prime contractor, Lucent will work under the direction of the Program Management Office (PMO) of the Coalition Provisional Authority as part of the overall Iraq Infrastructure Reconstruction program to provide a full range of services in the restoration of the Iraqi communications and information technology infrastructure nationwide. The work includes design, construction, reconstruction, renovation, restoration, implementation, and systems integration with existing systems and equipment, as well as operation and maintenance support.
Lucent recently completed installation of 13 switching, optical, and network management systems in and around Baghdad under a separate subcontract to Bechtel.
Team members for the communications infrastructure project include CH2M HILL (Englewood, CO), DynCorp International (a CSC company, Irving, TX), Lockheed Martin Corp. (Bethesda, MD), Booz Allen Hamilton (McLean, VA), and AT&T Government Solutions (Vienna, VA). The team also will include small businesses in the United States and Iraqi subcontractors and suppliers.
The infrastructure work will focus on 12 communications and information technology areas:
- CPA Enterprise System, Public Switch Telephone Network (PSTN), and LANs/WANs
- Enterprise systems and applications
- Postal IT architecture and systems
- Wireless fidelity (WiFi) capabilities for the Iraqi Telephone and Post Co. (ITPC)
- CIO function - operations
- Public Safety Information Services Network Initial Operating Capability (IOC).
- Commercial TV and radio: management and licensing
- Numbering scheme and Emergency-112 (911) initiative
- Replacement of power systems and back-up generators
- Iraqi - ATC Communications/Operations
- Technical and management training for ITPC
- Emergency repairs to ITPC network.
Work will begin under the contract immediately.