MARCH 6, 2008 -- Applied Optoelectronics Inc. (search for AOI), manufacturer of laser diodes, photodetectors, and optical modules for fiber-optic communications systems, has launched two new products: A 10-Gbit/sec, 1310-nm, 10-km XFP pluggable transceiver and a 10-Gbit/sec, 1550-nm, 40-km XFP pluggable transceiver.
The company says its new transceivers operate up to 11.1 Gbits/sec and are designed to meet the operating temperature range from -5 ° C to 70 ° C.
Like many of AOI's SFF and SFP products, the newly released XFP modules feature:
• Hot pluggability;
• Support for 10 GbE, OC-192/STM-64 SONET/SDH, 10x Fiber Channel applications;
• Compliance with XFP Multi-Source Agreement (MSA) v. 4.5;
• Digital diagnostic monitoring;
• LC duplex connector;
• A 1310-nm directly modulated laser with PIN for 10 km;
• A 1550-nm cooled EML with PIN for 40 km; and
• Compliance with GR 468 reliability specifications.
"Our customers have been expecting these new products from AOI," reports Dr. Chau-Hong Kuo, product manager of AOI transceiver products. "AOI has uniquely positioned itself to be a solution provider in the access markets, and these 10G XFP modules are a natural progression of our SFF, SFP, and GBIC transceiver product lines," he says.
AOI is currently shipping engineering samples to its customers, and volume shipments are expected by the end of Q2/08.