Optical transmission systems and component design software vendor VPIphotonics has released version 9.7 of its VPIphotonics Design Suite. The new version includes enhancements to help designers keep pace of modern transmission techniques, from direct detect to coherent transmission, as well as to aid designs involving multicore fibers.
The Design Suite includes five simulation and analysis toolsets:
- VPItransmissionMaker Optical Systems
- VPIcomponentMaker Fiber Optics
- VPIcomponentMaker Photonic Circuits
The enhancements include:
- Generation and detection of arbitrary N-dimensional modulation formats, spanning over IQ, XY, time, frequency, fiber modes and cores, and other parameters
- Analysis of N-dimensional modulated signals including bit and symbol error rate (BER, SER) estimation, log-likelihood ratio (LLR) computation, symbol-to-bits decoding, and automatic constellation alignment
- A new adaptive equalizer model that combines feed-forward and decision feedback equalizer (FFE/DFE) and nonlinear Volterra equalizer capabilities; the model simplifies comparative studies of different equalizer types and settings
- An extended multimode signal model to support heterogeneous multicore fibers with cores that can have different parameters and support a different number of modes
- Extended modules for multimode fiber, amplifiers, and couplers to support signals within multicore fibers
- Improved visualization and analysis of multimode signals via the VPIphotonicsAnalyzer, including signals in multicore fibers as well as signal selection by core number, radial and azimuthal index
- Improved analysis (Q-factor, eye opening) of multi-level pulse amplitude modulation (PAM) signals
- New and enhanced digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms, such as blind phase search (BPS) for carrier-phase recovery, multi-modulus algorithm (MMA) for optimal equalization of signals with higher order modulation, and others.