MAY 19, 2009 -- ADTRAN Inc. (search Lightwave for ADTRAN) says it has expanded its reach into the network with the introduction of the NetVanta 1544 Series of Layer 3 gigabit aggregation switches. The switches are designed to aggregate up to four 2.5-Gbps SFP ports, bridging the gap between 1 and 10 Gbps.
ADTRAN asserts the NetVanta 1544 platforms deliver cost savings of up to 40 percent over comparable Layer 3 Gigabit Ethernet switches while providing uplink ports with 2.5X the bandwidth offered in standard switches. The 2.5-Gbps ports can be aggregated to deliver up to 10 Gbps of aggregated bandwidth at a price well below the cost of adding 10-Gbps interfaces to switches from other manufacturers, the company says.
The NetVanta 1544 Series includes three 28-port Layer 3 gigabit platforms: the NetVanta 1544 Ethernet switch, the NetVanta 1544P Power over Ethernet (PoE) switch, and the NetVanta 1544F all-fiber Ethernet switch.
The NetVanta 1544 offers 24 fixed 10/100/1000Base-T ports plus four 2.5-Gbps SFP ports, which positions it for switch aggregation or gigabit-to-the-desktop applications. This device is well suited for applications where there is a need to aggregate switches between floors, ADTRAN believes.
The NetVanta 1544P offers 24 fixed PoE 10/100/1000Base-T ports plus four 2.5-Gbps SFP ports and adds support for 802.3af and legacy PoE, supporting PoE-compliant networking devices.
The NetVanta 1544F provides twenty-four 1-Gbps SFP ports plus four 2.5-Gbps SFP ports. This platform can span distances exceeding 100 m and without the noise often associated with longer traditional Ethernet cabling, ADTRAN says. The NetVanta 1544F is designed for campus or fiber-based applications to aggregate switches between floors or extend connectivity between buildings where longer distances are required.
"ADTRAN's NetVanta 1544 Series bridges the gap between 1G and 10G connectivity, allowing mid-market customers to balance their needs for more bandwidth with the requirement to keep budgets under control," said Matthias Machowinski, directing analyst, enterprise voice & data, Infonetics. "This is a good complement to ADTRAN's existing switch portfolio and brings uniqueness to their offering."
All three platforms in this series incorporate a number of features:
- Multi-layer switching (Layer 2 and Layer 3) for enhanced performance and wire-speed routing between VLANs, making them suitable for VoIP deployments or other networks requiring traffic segmentation.
- Each platform supports up to 10 Gbps of link-aggregation bandwidth, providing the ability to support higher-bandwidth applications.
- A port scheduler, allowing ports to be activated or deactivated based on time-of-day for power conservation and added security
- A Wi-Fi access controller for centralized management of NetVanta Wireless Access Points
- Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) for hot-standby hardware redundancy
- Cable diagnostics on Ethernet ports for simplified troubleshooting and increased uptime
- Auto Install for rapid deployment
- Wire-speed throughput for routing protocols such as OSPF and BGP
- Limited lifetime warranty
"The NetVanta 1544 complements our existing NetVanta switching portfolio and expands our addressable market," said Tim Saunders, vice president of product management, ADTRAN Enterprise Networks Division. "The NetVanta 1544 family is a natural extension of our switching portfolio, and as such, allows us to reach further into the customer's network with an all-ADTRAN switching solution, supporting a wider range of applications and customer infrastructure requirements."
The NetVanta 1544 and 1544P have list prices of $2,795 and $3,795 respectively and are currently shipping. The NetVanta 1544F has a list price of $3,995 and will be available in July. SFP modules and accessories are priced as follows:
- 1G singlemode SFP: $495
- 1G multimode SFP: $295
- 1-2.5G singlemode SFP: $695
- 1-2.5G multimode SFP: $395
- 1000Base-T SFP: $295
- 1-meter SFP interconnect cable: $195
- 3-meter SFP interconnect cable: $295