Multi-layer optical tester launched
01 June 2002 -- NetTest has launched the CMA5000 multi-layer network test platform.
01 June 2002 -- NetTest has launched the CMA5000 multi-layer network test platform. The system can test physical, data and control layers in an optical communications network. NetTest says it will help accelerate the deployment of new services while reducing the total cost of measurement.
The CMA5000 offers high performance measurement applications in one modular platform that enables networks to be installed, commissioned and documented more efficiently, the company claims. The platform can evolve with user testing needs and technology for addressing ever-changing telecommunication infrastructures.
James Nerschook, VP of NetTest's Optical network Test division, told Lightwave Europe, "This is an evolution of the previous testing system the CM 4000, which was restricted to OTDR and OSA testing. The big difference here is that the CMA 5000 is targeted at multi-layers and that these test functions have been combined in a single device."
- Lower Physical Layer. "Seventy per cent of connections fail simply because of connector cleanliness," said Nerschook.
- Upper Physical Layer; includes SONET and SDH system testing, BER, OSA packet loss, and propagation delay.
- Data Link Layer; including Gigabit Ethernet.
- OTDR applications; A Frost & Sullivan report in 2001 stated that with 22% of the total, NetTest has the largest single share of the OTDR testing market.
- Chromatic Dispersion. Nerschook observed, "Although a hot topic in the industry at the moment is the data rate evolution towards 40Gbit/s transmsissions, 70% of the world's traffic is not even at 10Gbit/s."
Mark Bieberich, senior analyst with the Yankee Group said of the development, "NetTest understands that network operators are increasingly called upon to manage multiple layers of complex, converging networks. With the CMA5000, NetTest successfully combines versatility and ease-of-use in a single platform for multiple network layers."
NetTest will unveil the CMA5000 Multi-Layer Network Test Platform at Supercomm, 4-6 June 2002, at booth #31722.