Surge in optoelectronic ASICs by 2005, reports ElectroniCast

Aug. 3, 2001
Aug. 3, 2001--One bright spot in semiconductors is optoelectronic application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs).

One bright spot in semiconductors is optoelectronic application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs). According to the new ElectroniCast "Optoelectronic ASICs Forecast," the global consumption of optoelectronic ASICs will climb at an average rate of over 44 percent per year, from $1.32 billion in 2000 to $8.3 billion in 2005. Amplifier and driver ASICs will continue as volume leaders, with a combined value share of 71 percent in 2000, but declining to 46 percent by 2005. The fastest growth will be by more complex devices, such as integrated multifunction ASICs, expanding to a 14 percent share by 2005.

Dynamic Compound Semiconductor Growth

The combined silicon/silicon-germanium share of optoelectronic ASIC value will drop from 86 percent to 68 percent over the 2000-2005 span, with SiGe taking the lead. GaAs plus InP ASICs will move up to more than double their year 2000 market share.

"This explosive growth will be driven by a very rapid expansion of transmitter/receiver and transponder quantities in metro/access and intra-equipment links. Plus a significant shift to higher-priced ASICs for 10 and 40 Gbps and to highly complex ASICs such as multichannel/multifunction in up to 256x256 parallel links," ElectroniCast Founder and Chairman Jeff Montgomery said.

Production value leaders in 2000 were Agere Microelectronics/Lucent, Conexant and IBM, with a combined share of 49 percent, captive production plus merchant market shipments. The remaining 51 percent is divided among approximately 80 producers.

About ElectroniCast:

The "Optoelectronic ASICs Forecast" is the first report of ElectroniCast's Rapid Reaction Report series and may be purchased for $1,995. Founded in 1981, ElectroniCast is a provider of forecasting for the fiber optic, optoelectronic, and photonic industries. For more information, visit www.electronicast.com.

Sponsored Recommendations

Coherent Routing and Optical Transport – Getting Under the Covers

April 11, 2024
Join us as we delve into the symbiotic relationship between IPoDWDM and cutting-edge optical transport innovations, revolutionizing the landscape of data transmission.

Data Center Network Advances

April 2, 2024
Lightwave’s latest on-topic eBook, which AFL and Henkel sponsor, will address advances in data center technology. The eBook looks at various topics, ranging...

Supporting 5G with Fiber

April 12, 2023
Network operators continue their 5G coverage expansion – which means they also continue to roll out fiber to support such initiatives. The articles in this Lightwave On ...

FTTx Deployment Strategies

March 29, 2023
Cable operators continue to deploy fiber in their networks at anincreasing rate. As fiber grows in importance, proper choices regardinghow to best fit fiber to the home together...