Qwest Communications International Inc.,

Sept. 1, 1997

Qwest Communications International Inc.,

Denver, CO, has reached agreement for what it calls "the last major acquisition" of the rights of way needed to complete its 13,000-mi coast-to-coast fiber network. The company agreed with Norfolk Southern Railway to install fiber-optic cable along the railway`s rights-of-way in eight cities in the southeastern United States. Qwest says it now has 91% of the rights it needs to finish the network by the end of next year; acquisition of the remaining 9% is currently "being negotiated." Meanwhile, the company also announced the activation of a 1277-mi section of its network, linking Sacramento, CA, with Denver. The activation means the company has 2100 route-mi of its network in service.

Sponsored Recommendations

Coherent Routing and Optical Transport – Getting Under the Covers

April 11, 2024
Join us as we delve into the symbiotic relationship between IPoDWDM and cutting-edge optical transport innovations, revolutionizing the landscape of data transmission.

Data Center Network Advances

April 2, 2024
Lightwave’s latest on-topic eBook, which AFL and Henkel sponsor, will address advances in data center technology. The eBook looks at various topics, ranging...

Supporting 5G with Fiber

April 12, 2023
Network operators continue their 5G coverage expansion – which means they also continue to roll out fiber to support such initiatives. The articles in this Lightwave On ...

FTTx Deployment Strategies

March 29, 2023
Cable operators continue to deploy fiber in their networks at anincreasing rate. As fiber grows in importance, proper choices regardinghow to best fit fiber to the home together...