March 21, 2003--JDS Uniphase Corp. has announced a suite of test and measurement instruments for manufacturers of fiber-optic components that operate at 850-nm wavelengths and at data rates of up to 10 Gbits/sec. With these new modules, JDS Uniphase's Multiple Application Platform (MAP) now provides a full range of test capabilities for either multimode or singlemode at 850-, 1310-, and 1550-nm wavelengths, says the company.
The MAP is a modular instrument system designed to make testing more economical, thereby helping to reduce the cost of manufacturing. With 19 cassettes, MAP is also very flexible, and allows manufacturers to move more easily into other product areas. Vendors are designing products now for the demand they expect for 10-Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) products. New MAP cassettes for these applications include:
- The MAP 850 nm Optical Transmitter Cassette is an electrical-to-optical converter that provides maximum output powers of >-4.0 dBm for 10-GbE and Fibre Channel and meets the IEEE 802.3ae reference transmitter specifications for extinction ratio, output power, eye mask, and intrinsic jitter.
- The MAP 850-1550 nm Optical Receiver Cassette includes 850-, 1310-, and 1550-nm wavelength ranges in a single reference receiver for data rates up to 10 Gbits/sec. It meets or exceeds the IEEE 802.3ae requirements for sensitivity, overload, and intrinsic jitter.
- The MAP Precision Attenuator Cassette with Power Control is both an attenuator and power meter in one cassette and is available in either multimode or singlemode for 850-, 1310-, and 1550-nm wavelengths. Combining the functions reduces space and cost, and also simplifies calibration. With power control, the user can choose a desired optical power and the attenuator will automatically provide the correct amount of attenuation.
- The MAP Variable Backreflector Cassette is designed to inject precise amounts of light back into a transmitter. It meets the functional test requirements for IEEE 802.3ae and is required for testing relative intensity noise and dispersion penalty for 850-, 1310-, and 1550-nm wavelengths.
- The new MAP Polarization Controller Cassette is used when measuring worst-case relative intensity noise and dispersion penalty for transmission products as per IEEE 802.3ae for 10-Gbit/sec applications at 1310- and 1550-nm wavelengths. It is also used to measure polarization-dependent loss or polarization mode dispersion for fibers and passive components.
- DFB Laser and Tunable Source Laser Cassettes are currently available for the MAP, and JDS Uniphase is introducing two additional sources: the Fabry-Perot Laser Cassette and LED Source Cassette (multimode and singlemode) for cable assembly and passive component testing.
The new MAP 850-nm Optical Transmitter, 850-1550 nm Optical Receiver, Precision Attenuator with Power Control, Variable Backreflector, Polarization Controller, Fabry-Perot Laser, and LED Source Cassettes are available for order from JDS Uniphase Instrumentation representatives and distributors worldwide. First customer shipments for the 850-1550 nm Optical Receiver Cassette have begun, and shipments for the other cassettes are expected to start in June.