Fluke Networks, a provider of Network SuperVision Solutions for insuring reliable data communications and Internet uptime, announced at the BICSI Winter Conference in Orlando, Fla., its new line of Fiber Test Adapters for the DSP-4000 Series Digital CableAnalyzers, adding test and certification capabilities for singlemode fiber, and Gigabit Ethernet multimode fiber installations.
The deployment of singlemode fiber and multimode fiber in Gigabit applications such as Gigabit Ethernet is on the rise. These high-speed networks use a variety of lasers as optical transmission sources. By certifying a networks' fiber infrastructure with the same types of sources as the switches and other network equipment in use, cabling professionals and network owners can be sure that the fiber plant will withstand the demands of the network equipment.
The Fluke DSP-FTA430S Singlemode Fiber Test Adapter is designed specifically for certifying and documenting singlemode fiber installations. It provides automatic, dual-fiber loss testing and certification at both 1310 and 1550nm wavelengths. The DSP-FTA430S also measures the length of singlemode fiber links. Because it uses the same FP (Fabry-Perot) laser light sources as the network transmission hardware, it provides accurate, uncompromised test results.
The DSP-FTA440S Gigabit Multimode Fiber Tester is a dual-fiber VCSEL-based fiber test adapter, incorporating both VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) and FP Lasers. Networks running Gigabit Ethernet over multimode fiber often use a VCSEL as the transmission source because it provides a more cost-effective solution than traditional lasers and provides greater bandwidth than LED light sources. The proper way to accurately test a fiber network using a VCSEL source is with a tester that uses a VCSEL.
Fluke Networks offers a complete line of Fiber Test Adapters. All of Fluke Networks' DSP Fiber Test Adapters can do the following:
* Test two fibers and two wavelengths simultaneously, automatically saving the test results.
* Perform bi-directional testing on both fibers under test and save results for both directions in the same record.
* Utilize Fluke Networks CableManager Software for comprehensive results management and report generation.
* Measure length and propagation delay automatically along with loss.
* Verify optical connectivity and determine which fibers go to which connectors at a patch panel.
* Communicate with a person on the other end of the fiber.
* Track the maximum and minimum power throughput of the test.
* Withstand drops and other mishaps that occur on the job.
The Fluke Networks Fiber Test Adapters are available February 1, 2001 from Fluke Networks sales channel partners worldwide. The DSP-FTA430S Singlemode Fiber Test Adapter is $4,995, and the DSP-FTA440S Gigabit Fiber Test Adapter is $3,995. The Fluke Networks DSP-4100 and DSP-4000 are priced at $5,995 and $5,495, respectively. All prices are U.S. list.