The worldwide broadband customer premises equipment (CPE) market -- including DSL, cable, and FTTH equipment -- reached $5.2 billion in 2010 and is forecast to top $6.0 billion in 2015, according to the recently released fourth quarter 2010 Broadband CPE and Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable, and DSL market forecast report from Infonetics Research. FTTH CPE represented a significant part of the revenue totals, signifying the growing popularity of FTTH worldwide, according to the market research firm.
The report tracks DSL, cable broadband, FTTH, and voice CPE; residential gateways; and broadband subscribers.
"The broadband CPE market is much more dynamic now, with FTTH CPE coming on strong in many regions of the world, particularly Japan, China, and North America, where new FTTH broadband subscribers are being added at a fast clip. We expect this trend to continue, with DSL subscribers and equipment slowing as FTTH rises," foresees Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access at Infonetics Research.
Other broadband CPE market data highlighted in the report include:
- The broadband CPE market was more or less flat in 4Q10 at $1.4 billion, following two consecutive quarters of growth of about 10%; unit shipments were up 5%.
- The number of broadband FTTH subscribers grew 30% in 2010 to 40 million worldwide.
- Bright spots in the DSL CPE market included VDSL gateways and IADs, which saw the biggest increase in 2010, as AT&T, Belgacom, KPN, and other operators invested in higher-end devices for their triple-play service offerings.
- Bright spot in the broadband cable CPE market included wideband (DOCSIS 3.0) EMTAs, as Comcast and other major cable MSOs are now taking consistent shipments to turn up new premium subscribers. Wideband EMTA unit shipments jumped 342% in 2010 and more than doubled quarter-over-quarter in 4Q10.
- Infonetics called the competition for leadership in the worldwide broadband CPE market “an extremely tight three-way horse race.” Huawei is ranked first by a slim margin in 4Q10, followed by Technicolor and Pace.
Infonetics' quarterly Broadband CPE and Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable, and DSL report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, analysis, and forecasts through 2015 for DSL CPE (ADSL, VDSL modems and gateways; ADSL IADs and VDSL IADs); standard and wideband cable CPE (modems, gateways, and EMTAs); FTTH ONTs and gateways (1.25G/2.5G EPON ONT and 2.5G GPON ONT gateways), residential gateways (broadband and multiservice); and voice CPE. The report also tracks standard and wideband cable subscribers, DSL subscribers, PON subscribers, PON FTTH subscribers, Ethernet FTTH subscribers, and FTTB and LAN subscribers. PON and Ethernet FTTH port counts and analysis are also included.
Visit Infonetics Research