On the heels of the acquisition of Broadband Communications Products Inc. (BCP--Melbourne, FL) that

March 1, 1999

On the heels of the acquisition of Broadband Communications Products Inc. (BCP--Melbourne, FL) that established Uniphase Broadband Products, Uniphase Corp. (San Jose, CA) and JDS FITEL Inc. (Nepean, ON) announced the signing of a definitive merger agreement to combine the companies in a merger of equals. Based on January 27, 1999, closing prices, the transaction is valued at $6.1 billion. The merged company, JDS Uniphase Corp., will serve all major fiber-optic communications markets with global operations in eight countries. In addition, JDS FITEL is exercising an option to increase its ownership in IOT Integrierte Optik GmbH & Co. KG (Waghaeusel-Kirrlach, Germany) from 49% to 51%, obtaining a majority interest. Schott Glas (Mainz, Germany) will hold the remaining 49% of IOT. IOT designs and manufactures monolithic integrated optical couplers and splitters for telecommunications networks. JDS FITEL also completed the acquisition of assets from the Akzo Nobel Photonics business unit from Akzo Nobel Business Developments B.V., a wholly owned subsidiary of Akzo Nobel N.V. (the Netherlands). Finally, JDS FITEL will enter into a strategic alliance with AlliedSignal Inc. (Morristown, NJ) to further exploit the technology purchased from Akzo Nobel.

Sponsored Recommendations

Coherent Routing and Optical Transport – Getting Under the Covers

April 11, 2024
Join us as we delve into the symbiotic relationship between IPoDWDM and cutting-edge optical transport innovations, revolutionizing the landscape of data transmission.

Data Center Network Advances

April 2, 2024
Lightwave’s latest on-topic eBook, which AFL and Henkel sponsor, will address advances in data center technology. The eBook looks at various topics, ranging...

Supporting 5G with Fiber

April 12, 2023
Network operators continue their 5G coverage expansion – which means they also continue to roll out fiber to support such initiatives. The articles in this Lightwave On ...

FTTx Deployment Strategies

March 29, 2023
Cable operators continue to deploy fiber in their networks at anincreasing rate. As fiber grows in importance, proper choices regardinghow to best fit fiber to the home together...