DECEMBER 15, 2009--Market research firm Infonetics Research predicts that overall worldwide PON equipment revenue will top $2 billion in 2009 for the first time. That figure will more than double by 2013, the company adds, when it will reach $4.2 billion.
The figures were among details Infonetics has released of its third quarter (3Q09) PON and FTTH Equipment and Subscribers market size and share report, which tracks active Ethernet FTTH equipment and passive optical network (PON) equipment, including BPON, EPON, GPON, and WDM-PON equipment split by FTTH and FTTB (fiber-to-the-building) applications.
"After just two slightly down quarters in late 2008 and early 2009, the PON equipment market is roaring back to health, led by strong performances by vendors in the Asia Pacific region, particularly China, Japan, South Korea, and now India. The biggest increases are coming from spending on EPON equipment in China to support China Telecom's ongoing FTTB rollout and the early stages of China Unicom's massive 11 million-line EPON FTTB/FTTB deployment," notes Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband and video at Infonetics Research.
The third quarter numbers follow a 16% sequentially in 2Q09. (See "Infonetics: ‘Massive’ Chinese PON equipment orders drive 16% market gain in 2Q09.")
Other 3Q09 market highlights, according to Infonetics:
- Worldwide PON equipment revenue increased 10% sequentially in 3Q09 to $523 million, following a 15% jump in 2Q09
- GPON deployments were also up in 3Q09, mainly due to a major increase in GPON shipments to China Mobile and China Telecom
- In 3Q09, worldwide active Ethernet FTTH equipment revenue decreased 29% sequentially, as municipal and competitive operators in EMEA and Chinese operators dramatically decreased their Ethernet FTTH rollouts
- Over the last four quarters, Huawei has increased its worldwide PON equipment market share by 20 points, and has led the market for the last three quarters
- The number of PON subscribers worldwide is expected to near the 10 million mark by the end of 2009
Infonetics' quarterly PON report provides worldwide and regional market size, market share, analysis, and forecasts for BPON, EPON, GPON, and WDM-PON equipment, FTTH and FTTB OLTs and ONTs, FTTH equipment, Ethernet FTTH CPE and service provider equipment, and PON and Ethernet ports and subscribers.
A wide variety of companies are tracked as well.
Visit Infonetics Research