Calix launches E7-20 platform for multi-terabit fiber access speeds
NOVEMBER 9, 2010 -- Calix, Inc has upgraded its Unified Access portfolio with the launch of the E7-20 multi-terabit Ethernet Service Access Platform (ESAP). The E7-20 is designed to provide a very high capacity, low latency, all-fiber access concentrator.
NOVEMBER 9, 2010 -- Calix, Inc (NYSE: CALX) has upgraded its Unified Access portfolio with the launch of the E7-20 multi-terabit Ethernet Service Access Platform (ESAP). The E7-20 is designed to provide a very high capacity, low latency, all-fiber access concentrator.
The 20-slot E7-20 is a 2-Tbps access concentrator with the ability to deliver gigabits of content-carrying bandwidth to individual residential and business subscribers. In its first release -- which will trial in early 2011 and be ready for deployment mid-year -- the E7-20 will support GPON, Active Ethernet, and point-to-point Gigabit Ethernet services on the subscriber side and multiple 10-Gigabit Ethernet transport services on the network side. The E7-20 can deliver 100 Gbps to each of its 20 universal line card slots. This enables the platform to fully support emerging technologies such as 10G GPON, 10-Gigabit Ethernet aggregation, and 100-Gbps Ethernet uplinks.
“The E7-20 is a great example of a new generation of fiber access delivery vehicles,” says Matt Davis, Consumer and SMB Broadband director at IDC. “The bandwidth requirements of the access network are accelerating exponentially as video proliferates. Service Providers will ultimately be required to move beyond existing copper or hybrid infrastructure to fiber-based platforms in order to deliver the advanced services of tomorrow.”
Each E7-20 is designed to serve up to 480 dedicated Active Ethernet subscribers or 5,120 GPON subscribers, with headroom to accommodate more than 20,000 subscribers through the introduction of future higher density and higher capacity line cards. Initially, the platform will come to market with three line cards:
- SCP-10GE: A switch control processor, this card has four Gigabit Ethernet SFP ports and two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports that support both SFP+ and XFP, as well as a 100-Gbps switching capacity
- GE-24x: Focused on Active Ethernet and point-to-point Ethernet services, this card provides 12 SFP ports, supporting 24 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- GPON-4x: Focused on GPON, this card has four GPON ports, which in turn can support up to 256 subscribers with a 64:1 split
Other features include:
- Ring support utilizing ITV G.8032 ERPS and IEEE 802.1w RSTP
- 10 Gigabit Ethernet/Nx Gigabit Ethernet/Gigabit Ethernet uplinks with RSTP and IEEE 802.3ad link aggregation
- Layer 2 switching/forwarding and Layer 3 awareness for scalability and security
- IEEE 802.1Q VLANS, 802.1ad VLAN stacking (Q-in-Q), and 802.1p priority
- Integrated IGMP v2 snooping and proxy for IPTV
- Calix Management System (CMS) support for visibility and management across the Calix Unified Access portfolio