Fiber-optic technology distributor Fiber Optic Center, Inc. (FOC) now offers a splicer v-groove cleaning kit from AFL. The kit comprises eight components, which FOC asserts combine to enable affordable and effective inspection and cleaning of any fusion splicer.
Contamination in the v-groove of the splicer remains a problem for operators and is of particular concern when using a fixed v-groove fusion splicer, says FOC. Such contamination can come via environmental elements, such as dust, dirt, and fiber coating debris, as well as from the silica deposits generated during the fusion process. Regardless of the source, contamination will cause offset of the fibers in the v-groove and degrade splicer performance. Thus, FOC says a disciplined cleaning regimen and specific tooling are necessary.
The AFL Splicer V-Groove Cleaning Kit meets this need, FOC says. The small and lightweight kit includes:
- a scrubber brush with stiff tapered nylon bristles and a sweeper brush with soft nylon bristles
- an eye loupe with 3X to 12X magnification
- an LED pen light with momentary or constant on switching
- cleaning fluid that is nonflammable and environmentally safe, and lint-free cotton swabs
- an instruction sheet with illustrations
- a canvas carrying case
FOC will display the cleaning kit at SPIE Photonics West, booth 5048, and at OFC in Anaheim at booth 2308.
For more information on fiber cable accessories and suppliers, visit the Lightwave Buyer's Guide.