OCTOBER 6, 2009 -- Network access technology supplier Zhone Technologies Inc. has added 24 new zNID models to its optical network terminal (ONT) portfolio. Zhone claims its snap-to-fit approach means reduced equipment costs, tighter network integration, and targeted service differentiation on the full range of FTTX applications, from corporate business communications to residential triple play and mobile backhaul. The new ONT lineup incorporates automation features to cut installation times and enhance flexibility in the field.
Leveraging design advances of the MXK, the zNID ONTs are optimized to support the shift to unicast media streams that require larger amounts of dedicated bandwidth. ONTs serve a vital role in carrying extreme traffic as managed network elements in FTTX architectures.
"Because ONTs represent the majority of electronic equipment costs in FTTX networks, selecting the right customer-premise[s] devices for GPON and active Ethernet isn't only essential for sound network design, it can be a make or break decision for network operators," says Steven Glapa, Zhone's vice president of product management and marketing. "Working with our MXK customers around the world provides us the right mix of practical insight and innovation and ultimately inspires the hard work required to reach the highly competitive position this product line holds."
The zNIDs cover a full spectrum of operator needs from simple, low-cost devices for entry-level triple-play to more sophisticated models for high-end business services, mobile backhaul, and multidwelling units.
- Zhone Auto Provisioning -- The company says its zNIDs are the only ONTs with auto provisioning to support greater flexibility in the field while streamlining installs and cutting deployment times
- Smart OMCI -- Zhone’s standards-based GPON ONT management interface is designed to simplify operations in GPON networks and enable interoperability in multivendor environments
- Any Port – Any Service -- The ONTs take the flexibility of the multiservice access platform (MSAP) model to the customer premises equipment (CPE)
- zNID CPE Manager -- Intelligently automates operations for simplified management and greater network control for Ethernet devices. Includes automatic configuration and activation, enhanced inventory tracking, centralized reporting, configurable backup and restores, and managed software upgrades
- Snap-to-Fit configuration -- 27 models cover a variety of form factors (indoor, outdoor, single/multiunit) and customer-side physical interfaces for both active Ethernet and GPON networks (including POTS, 10/100 Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, T1/E1, RF video, HPNA, packetized RF return, and RFoG); voice interop through SIP, H.248, MGCP, GR-303, and V5.2; and the options of full NAT, firewall, and residential gateway functionality
- Single-Line, Multi-Service (SLMS) access operating system -- Combines service intelligence with intuitive management and FTTX networking features. Includes flexible traffic management, enhanced security, and feature-rich voice networking for differentiated service offerings
"The breadth of Zhone's ONT options is a key reason we selected them for our FTTX initiative," says Sok Channda, president and chief executive officer of MekongNet, which is launching an extensive fiber deployment in Cambodia. "Combined with the impressive nonblocking bandwidth of the MXK, the ability to precisely match our requirements for customer premise[s] equipment and service configuration creates real competitive advantage for us," she adds.
"Zhone's ONTs were instrumental in the successful launch of our landmark network project," claims Dennis D'Amico, president of Estracom, which recently announced a green initiative to modernize municipal network services throughout Italy’s Tuscany region. "Smart OMCI, the ONT auto-provisioning features, and the superior management functions all combine to simplify installation and allow hands-off management from the central office for across-the-board efficiency gains."
"Requirements differ substantially between applications as well as across geographies and service provider segments, making Zhone's total ONT suite timely as the market for FTTX continues to expand," notes Vince Vittore, Yankee Group's principal analyst for enabling technologies. "With the new zNID portfolio, and the introduction of the MXK earlier this year, Zhone has significantly evolved the FTTX state of the art."