Occam Networks adds new ONTs
APRIL 21, 2009 -- New products extend Occam's GPON offerings and feature DS-1 connectivity for business applications and integrated RF over IP.
APRIL 21, 2009 -- Occam Networks Inc. (search Lightwave for Occam Networks), a broadband access supplier, has released three new optical network terminals (ONTs) designed to help service providers deliver a full array of FlexPlay fiber services for business and residential subscribers. The ONTs provide intelligent, high-bandwidth transport, fiber line termination, and the same voice performance as Occam's previously released BLC products.
The Occam ON 2501, ON 2534, and ON 2568 complement Occam's existing suite of GPON and Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) FTTP ONT products and are designed to deliver services such as traditional telephone, high-speed data, and entertainment services when deployed with the BLC 6322 GPON optical line terminal (OLT).
"There is an increased demand for high-bandwidth applications such as IPTV, video via RF overlay, and gaming," says Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband and IPTV at Infonetics Research (search Lightwave for Infonetics). "With volume shipments of GPON products in full swing within the telecom industry, Occam's new offerings come at an opportune time to assist service providers seeking a single platform to leverage GPON and Gigabit Ethernet ONTs."
Product features include:
- Connectivity for business applications: The ON 2568 enables MEF-8 compliant DS-1 circuit emulation services (CES) for business applications. The ON 2568 is equipped with two DS-1 ports, each designed for private line, dedicated data, and business voice applications.
- Native support for RF return: Powering interactive entertainment services, the ON 2534 natively supports RF over IP and integrates into SCTE 55-1 and 55-2 compliant video environments.
- Carrier Ethernet service demarcation: The ON 2501 is a full-featured, intelligent Ethernet demarcation ONT that can be installed inside the premises. The device is targeted for residential and business applications looking for the simplest way to deliver intelligent Ethernet to the premises.
- Deployment flexibility: The new ONTs can be deployed in a range of environments including single-family residences (SFRs), small-to-medium businesses (SMBs), and multiple dwelling/multiple tenant units (MDU/MTUs). The ON 2501 is optimized for indoor deployment, while the ON 2534 and ON 2568 are hardened for challenging outdoor environments.
- Flexible standards-based service delivery: Occam ONTs support comprehensive residential and business services based on the latest industry standards including TR-156, TR-101, MEF-6, MEF-8, and MEF-10. The technologies enable provisioning of predefined services such as Carrier Ethernet, voice, Internet, gaming, and IPTV.
"Occam is committed to enhancing the delivery of traditional voice and advanced services through unified, intelligent demarcation devices at the customer premise site," says Juan Vela, director of solutions marketing and strategy for Occam Networks. "Our approach is to provide our customers with a standards-based, feature-rich family of ONTs that utilize Ethernet as the standard service demarc at the premise -- home or business."
Visit Occam Networks