ftv Communications llc, a consortium of three telecommunications companies, has selected two

March 1, 1998

ftv Communications llc, a consortium of three telecommunications companies, has selected two fiber-optic cable providers for its portion of a 1620-mi network between Portland, OR, and Los Angeles, CA. ftv will build and maintain the 1380-mi segment between Portland and Las Vegas, NV. An underground cable contract, representing 84% of ftv?s route, was awarded to Nortel, Alpharetta, GA. Alcoa Fujikura Ltd., of Spartanburg, SC, will provide the optical ground wire for the remaining 16% of the route. The contracts total more than $50 million. The three participants in ftv are Touch America, a subsidiary of the Montana Power Co., Butte, MT; Williams Communications Group Inc., a division of The Williams Companies Inc. through its Vyvx business unit, Tulsa, OK; and FirstPoint Communications Inc., an Enron Corp., Portland.

Sponsored Recommendations

The Pluggable Transceiver Revolution

May 30, 2024
Discover the revolution of pluggable transceivers in our upcoming webinar, where we delve into the advancements propelling 400G and 800G coherent optics. Learn how these innovations...

The Journey to 1.6 Terabit Ethernet

May 24, 2024
Embark on a journey into the future of connectivity as the leaders of the IEEE P802.3dj Task Force unveil the groundbreaking strides towards 1.6 Terabit Ethernet, revolutionizing...

From 100G to 1.6T: Navigating Timing in the New Era of High-Speed Optical Networks

Feb. 19, 2024
Discover the dynamic landscape of hyperscale data centers as they embrace accelerated AI/ML growth, propelling a transition from 100G to 400G and even 800G optical connectivity...

Supporting 5G with Fiber

April 12, 2023
Network operators continue their 5G coverage expansion – which means they also continue to roll out fiber to support such initiatives. The articles in this Lightwave On ...