APRIL 29, 2008 -- Calix (search for Calix) today announced a portfolio of GPON ONTs for the multi-dwelling unit (MDU) and small to mid-sized business markets. The three new products, part of Calix's 700G family of GPON ONTs, are aimed at the unique requirements of commercial deployment environments, from residential and mixed-use apartment buildings, dormitories, or hospitality locations to business parks, strip malls, and stand-alone enterprises, say company representatives.
Service providers can use the portfolio to offer a mix of services and applications, including IPTV, RF video, gigabit Ethernet, TDM voice, support for DS-1 lines, and even cellular backhaul--all over an FTTP network.
Features and applications of the new Calix 760G ONT portfolio include the following:
• The 760G supports eight POTS lines, four 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports, four RF video ports, and one hot RF video port; it is designed for MDUs, hospitality, and mixed-use business/residential deployments.
• The 762G supports eight POTS lines, eight 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports, four RF video ports, and one hot RF video port; it is designed for MDUs, hospitality and mixed-use business/residential deployments.
• The 765G supports eight POTS lines, four DS-1 lines, four 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports, four RF video ports, and one hot RF video port; it is designed for business and mixed-used business/residential deployments and cellular backhaul applications.
• All of the 760G ONTs support 2.5-Gbit/ec GPON on the Calix C7 multiservice access platform with Release 6.0 software.
• Every ONT in the portfolio is hardened, and power supplies are available for indoor and outdoor locations.
"Calix is filling an important market need in our markets across Florida and the Caribbean with its new MDU and business ONTs," maintains Jeff Beekhoo, principal of DVI Consultants Inc. "Many of our developer customers use advanced communications services--in particular, the extraordinary bandwidth enabled via fiber-to-the-premises technology--as a way to differentiate their MDU properties. My customers demand cutting-edge services delivered flexibly and cost-effectively," he contends, "and with the new Calix products I can surpass their expectations."
Calix says it is the first company to specifically target the "sweet spot" of the small- to mid-sized MDU and business market with a portfolio of ONT products that can accommodate a variety of line-size options and offer the flexibility to address mixed business/residential deployments.
"The business case for FTTP requires service providers to take full advantage of every service opportunity that is within reach of their deployed fiber," reports David Russell, solutions marketing director at Calix. "The diversity, modularity, and flexibility of the Calix GPON ONT family, boosted by the new 760G portfolio, allow service providers to optimally address nearly any residential, business, mixed-use, single family unit (SFU), or MDU environment."
"With over a third of the population in North America living in MDUs and with tens of thousands of businesses spread throughout the country, service providers deploying FTTP must have solutions to address these critical market segments," adds Teresa Mastrangelo, principal analyst of broadbandtrends.com. "Calix has done a great job at providing a comprehensive portfolio of ONTs to address these underserved opportunities."
Find more FTTx news at Lightwave's FTTx Resource Center.