MRV Communications, Inc. (Pink Sheets: MRVC), a provider of optical communications network infrastructure equipment and integration and managed services, announced the availability of OptiSwitch OS940-M, the latest addition to MRV’s OptiSwitch OS900 portfolio. The OptiSwitch OS940-M supports mobile Ethernet backhaul and business Ethernet applications, which creates new revenue opportunities for service providers, says MRV.
The OptiSwitch OS940-M is a modular platform that leverages Hybrid Network Interface Device (NID) functionality along with service level agreement (SLA) measurements tools. Hybrid NIDs:
- Support features and functionality of NIDs
- Provide carrier-grade Metro Ethernet Forum-compliant Ethernet service demarcation
- Provide operations, administration, and maintenance of (OAM) tools that satisfy SLA-compliant service offerings while reducing operational expenses
Also, multi-service slot functionality in the OptiSwitch OS940-M enables packet and optical combinations via either circuit emulation services (CES) or wave division multiplexing (WDM).
The OptiSwitch OS940-M targets a wide range of applications including:
- Wholesale and Retail Ethernet services: 10GbE Hybrid NID provides a single platform to deliver wholesale and retail Ethernet services via a single demarcation entity and enables service providers and operators to share the same device and perform isolated management and continuity of the Ethernet services.
- Mobile Ethernet Backhaul: 10GbE mobile backhaul multi-cell site aggregation for migrating TDM traffic over Carrier Ethernet network and for data offloading.
- Broadband Backhaul Services: 10GbE demarcation and first mile mini-aggregation device for multi-tenant and multi-dwelling applications.
"Service providers are looking for multi-functional and cost-effective intelligent Ethernet demarcation devices that support multiple deployment scenarios while delivering a dramatic improvement in network maintenance costs," said Zeev Draer, Vice President, Strategic Marketing for MRV’s Optical Communications Systems (OCS) division. “The OptiSwitch OS940-M fits the bill perfectly for these service providers with its Hybrid NID functionality to simplify the monitoring of Ethernet services and comprehensive set of multi-layer, hardware-based OAM and measurement tools to ensure the delivery of the service.”