UPC Cablecom acquires cable network in Geneva

Switzerland’s largest cable operator, UPC Cablecom, says it has taken over the Télé-Pregny-Chambésy fiber-optic network.

Switzerland’s largest cable operator, UPC Cablecom, says it has taken over the Télé-Pregny-Chambésy fiber-optic network.

The Geneva municipality of Pregny-Chambésy and three private shareholders sold their 75% share in their cable network, which serves around 600 households, to UPC Cablecom, as of July 1. UPC Cablecom already held the other 25% share in Télé-Pregny-Chambésy SA.

Over the past 12 months, UPC Cablecom has purchased the cable networks Télécarouge SA and Télélancy SA belonging to other Swiss municipalities. Now, UPC Cablecom has invested again in Western Switzerland, the operator points out.

Ivan Nash Vila, UPC Cablecom’s chief financial officer, is pleased about the decision. “This transaction confirms the strategic importance of French-speaking Switzerland for UPC Cablecom and our willingness to invest in this region,” he said.

Customers won’t notice any changes, since UPC Cablecom already offers all of its digital products - digital TV, Internet and telephony - in the Geneva municipality.

Philippe Schwarm, municipal councillor of Pregny-Chambésy, is convinced that his municipality has made the right decision by handing over full control of the cable network to UPC Cablecom. “Our cable network is now in the hands of professionals who are in a position to develop it further under the best possible conditions. The future of our cable network has been secured by the sale,” he said.

For more information on cable broadband equipment and suppliers, visit the Lightwave Buyer’s Guide.

More in Network Design