Fiber-optic training specialist The Light Brigade says it has significantly upgraded its core course, “Fiber Optics 1-2-3,” and the accompanying manual. The changes reflect the evolving nature of fiber-optic technology, products, and standards, the company explains.
The 470-page manual is broken into 20 chapters that provide grounding in the basics of optical communications via multimode and singlemode fiber technologies. The updates include:
- Multimode fiber technology featuring OM3, OM4, and bend-insensitive fibers
- Restricted mode and encircled flux launch conditions
- Singlemode fiber technology, including G.652D, G.655, and G.657 fibers
- New termination products and techniques
- The latest standards and specifications
- Fiber to the home, Ethernet, and the Internet Protocol (IP)
- More installation and optical testing content
- Updated discussions of active devices, including FTTx products
- More information on passive devices such as optical switches and splitters.
The Light Brigade will begin using the updated manual and curriculum this month. Former students can buy the new manual (Fiber Optics 1-2-3 Rev #W-13U) for $100.
For more information on fiber-optic training and instructors, visit the Lightwave Buyer’s Guide.