JANUARY 21, 2009 -- GigOptix Inc. (search for GigOptix) has introduced the GX6420, a 43-Gbps Electro-Absorption Modulated Laser (EML) driver.
According to the company, the GX6420 is compliant with the 40G XLMD TOSA MSA used in OC-768 VSR applications and includes:
• Excellent eye quality at data rates up to 43 Gbps;
• Low power consumption, typically 1.5W at 2.5Vpp output;
• Small form factor to easily integrate into an XLMD TOSA;
• DC output coupling with 0.5V offset control to eliminate the need for bias-T;
• Adjustable output voltage of 1.7Vpp-2.6Vpp and eye cross point;
• Differential driven input with single ended output; and
• 9.5 ps typical rise and fall times.
The GX6420 is a single die offering whose small form factor and low power consumption (1.5W) enables it to be quickly integrated into multiple vendors' XLMD solutions, say company representatives. Its input voltage sensitivity is designed to interoperate with the leading 40G SERDES, and its DC-coupled output not only ensures correct biasing of the EML but also simplifies the TOSA design by eliminating the need for a bias-T circuit. The GX6420's output voltage range ensures that it will operate with a range of 40G EMLs on the market.
"Creating a single die solution for such a demanding application was a challenging engineering task given all the constraints we faced: small size, excellent eye performance at 40G, and low power dissipation," reports Julie Tipton, vice president marketing at GigOptix. "However, hitting product targets on time is vital to enabling customers deliver on their commitments. We believe that our GX6420 will enable a new generation of 40G OC-768 VSR transponders, and we are very excited to be working closely with customers to rapidly deploy it in their products."
The GX6420 is now sampling.
Visit GigOptix Inc.