FEBRUARY 8, 2010 -- Vitesse Semiconductor Corp. (Pink Sheets:VTSS) has dropped a few hints regarding its product road map for 2010, particularly for applications designed to ease the transition to Carrier Ethernet in core, metropolitan, access, and edge networks, and to drive energy savings and capacity enhancements in enterprise and data center networks.
Vitesse says it expanded its research and development staff by 15 percent in the past year to prepare a suite of more than 30 products designed to bring higher performance to the enterprise and new carrier features to the public network. The new products will address such needs as the transition of current circuit-switched traffic to Ethernet packet switching, the need for accurate timing for packet networks, and the need to reduce energy consumption and shift to 40G and 100G networks.
The product families being introduced in 2010 will mix integration levels and feature sets to address various price points and equipment sizes for both carrier and enterprise networks, Vitesse asserts. Different electronic devices will combine physical-layer circuits, MACs, switches, and optical transport network (OTN) mappers including advanced forward error correction (FEC) algorithms. Physical interfaces will support both optical and copper media. As a result, Vitesse says its customers will be able to reuse software across multiple carrier and enterprise product lines accelerating time-to-market and saving costs.
Specific product introductions planned in 2010 include:
- High-density PHYs for 10G/40G/100G optical and backplane applications
- High-density 10G OTN mappers/PHYs for carrier WDM metro and core applications
- 40G/100G FEC devices for the carrier core
- 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Carrier Ethernet switches and MACs for carrier and metro aggregation including wireless backhaul
- GbE Carrier Ethernet access switches for wireless/microwave backhaul edge applications and base stations
- 12/24-port GbE Enterprise Layer 2 switches for small-medium enterprise (SME)/small-medium business (SMB)
- “Energy-Efficient Ethernet” physical-layer PHYs for copper and fiber.
Vitesse will introduce the first of its new Ethernet products, the Jaguar family of Carrier Ethernet MACs and switches at MPLS & Ethernet World Congress 2010.
Visit Vitesse Semiconductor