Tellabs says its FlexSym Series Optical LAN (OLAN) software release SR31.2 for 10-Gbps passive optical LAN applications has reached limited availability and has begun customer trials. The release runs across a wide range of hardware and platforms, including the Tellabs FlexSym Six Optical Line Terminal, Tellabs FlexSym Optical Interface Unit Eight, Tellabs FlexSym XGS-PON Combiner, Tellabs FlexSym 205 Optical Network Terminal, and Tellabs Panorama PON Manager.
The SR31.2 FlexSym Series release provides all the benefits of passive optical LANs for buildings and campuses – including minimizing IT infrastructure footprint, power, and costs compared to legacy copper-based networks – while supporting symmetrical 10-Gbps transmission. Details of the 10G FlexSym Series components include:
- Tellabs FlexSym Six Optical Line Terminal (OLT6): The OLT6 distribution shelf supports ITU-T 984 GPON 2.5G, symmetrical ITU-T 989 10G XGS-PON with bi-directional encryption, and future NG-PON2 40G (status: limited availability as of SR31.1).
- Tellabs FlexSym Optical Interface Unit Eight (OIU8): The eight-port OIU8 service module enables network technicians to choose either GPON or 10G XGS-PON XFPs to optimize speed, space, power, and costs (status: limited availability as of SR31.1).
- Tellabs FlexSym XGS-PON Combiner: The combiner enables GPON and XGS-PON wavelengths to coexist on the same single-mode fiber and passive optical splitters. Use of the combiner enables customers to add 10G XGS-PON ONTs to an existing GPON network as requirements demand, thus enabling coexistence of 2.5G and 10G PON ONTs on the same network as well as a smooth transition from the lower speed to the higher speed (status: limited availability as of SR31.2).
- Tellabs FlexSym 205 Optical Network Terminal (ONT205): The ONT205 enables flexible Ethernet connections over a symmetrical 10G XGS-PON network with bi-directional encryption. It has four Gigabit Ethernet ports and a multi-rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G port (status: limited availability as of SR31.2 targeted for July 31).
- Tellabs Panorama PON Manager: The Panorama PON Manager enables Ethernet, GPON, and XGS-PON network resources to be defined in software, through global profiles, and dynamically allocates them based on real-time requirements. The PON manager can be accessed via desktop, laptop, and smartphone interfaces (status: general availability).
For related articles, visit the FTTx Topic Center.
For more information on FTTx technology and suppliers, visit the Lightwave Buyer’s Guide.