The FTTH Council Europe's board of directors has appointed Ronan Kelly, CTO for the EMEA & APAC Regions at ADTRAN, Inc. (NASDAQ:ADTN), the organization's new president. He replaces Edgar Aker, whose one-year term has expired.
Kelly previously served as treasurer for the European fiber-optic broadband advocacy and education organization. He is the eighth president of the FTTH Council Europe since the group's creation in 2004.
"It is a great honor to have been chosen as the new president of the FTTH Council Europe. A lot has happened in the past year during Edgar Aker's presidency," said Kelly via an FTTH Council Europe press release. "The FTTH market has matured and European decision-makers have shown a more "business-friendly" approach to broadband policies. In continuity with last year's strategy and working plan, we need to ensure that the call for accelerated fibre deployment is heard by all the broadband stakeholders who can make a change in Europe, with a special focus on operators for the year 2016!"
The Council's board made the appointment during a General Assembly held in Amsterdam April 19 and 20. The group set forth the following agenda for the next year:
- Motivate activists and stakeholders to support FTTH rollout and adoption
- Educate decision makers to understand the need for FTTH and its socio-economic benefits
- Convince operators and project leaders to deploy fiber networks
- Urge stakeholders to create a fiber-friendly environment.
The group says it also will look to consolidate the available studies, material, data and information it has produced.
Based on Kelly's appointment and elections held during the assembly, the FTTH Council Europe's board of directors includes:
- Ismail Adibelli, Genexis, The Netherlands, Treasurer
- Tobias Ahl, Rala Infratech, Sweden
- Magnus Angermund, Hexatronic Group, Sweden
- Antoni Bosch, Prysmian, Spain
- Michael Johansson, Ericsson, Sweden
- Joël Mau, Institut Mines-Télécom, France
- Ana Pesovic, Nokia, Belgium
- Edgar Van Essen, Reichle & De-Massari, The Netherlands.
Working Committee Chairs include:
- José Salgado, Portugal, Chair of the Deployment & Operations Committee
- oeri Van Bogaert, Belgium, Chair of the Financing Committee
- Jan Schindler, Netherlands, Chair of the Market Intelligence Committee
- Karin Ahl, Sweden, Chair of the Policy & Regulation Experts Group
- Hans Kühberger, Austria, Chair of the World of Applications Committee.
For related articles, visit the Education Topic Center.
For more information on FTTx equipment and suppliers, visit the Lightwave Buyer's Guide.