The new features include:
- The ability to change gender from Male to Female or Female to Male in the field
- The ability to change polarity in the field
- Push/pull installation and removable
- Short boot – shortest in the industry by 36%, according to the company
- The connector meets Telecordia GR‐1435 requirements and objectives.
These features enable the end user to manipulate the connector to fit whatever system requirements are encountered within an MPO jumper or trunk assembly. The time to change gender or polarity is only about 30 seconds, says Sumitomo Electric. This ability will save hours if not days to order replacements, the company asserts. The cost savings in avoided system downtime can be significant, they add.
Meanwhile, the short boot on the connector and its mechanical robustness improves system reliability and makes cable management much easier and less sensitive to mishandling during use. It is the only MPO connector that meets both the requirement and objective of Telecordia GR‐1435 standards, Sumitomo Electric says. And the push/pull operation makes removal and insertion easier and less likely to be damaged due to mishandling during cleaning and reinsertion.
Judge's comment: "Smart solution to the worst MPO design problems."