New Focus Inc., (Nasdaq: NUFO), a supplier of fiber optic products for next-generation optical networks under the Smart Optics for Networks brand, announced the PowerTune tunable laser, what the Company claims to be the industry's first tunable laser with the optical power levels required by the telecom backbone. PowerTune technology is designed to deliver the full benefits of wavelength agility to the entire optical network. The product will also serve metropolitan network applications that require high power and tunability.
PowerTune consists of a laser module that includes the high power laser, wavelength locker, power control and other control functions along with control electronics. Its unique patent pending technology delivers 20 Milliwatts (+13dBm) of power over the entire C-band enabling the use of tunability in long-haul and ultra-long-haul networks.
PowerTune's Key Benefits:
* Allows deployment of "universal transmitters" thereby easing logistics problems throughout the network and reducing down-time
* Enables remote provisioning of bandwidth leading to more rapid service activation and quick recovery from network failures
* Enables dynamic bandwidth reconfiguration as traffic patterns change resulting in less congestion and better bandwidth utilization
* Designed to offer three to five times more power output than any other widely tunable laser technology announced to date, enabling deployment of wavelength agility anywhere in the network
* Designed to deliver an optically pure signal that permits tightly spaced channels (50GHz) and supports advanced signaling techniques
* Features built-in wavelength locker, power level control, programmable back reflection functions and control electronics, easing system design and speeding time to market
New Focus has over 155,000 square feet of manufacturing space worldwide, providing Telcordia compliant products to major DWDM's. PowerTune is being tested throughout its development cycle to ensure that it conforms to Telcordia reliability standards (Telcordia 468).
New Focus is scheduled to deliver PowerTune samples to its systems provider customers in April, with production to start in late 2001.
About New Focus:
New Focus designs, manufactures and markets innovative fiber optic products for next-generation optical networks. For more information, visit www.newfocus.com.